3/22/10

A U.F.O. just became a C.P.

My 2-year-in-the-making U.F.O. (unfinished object) just became a C.P. (competed project)! FINALLY!
I started this quilt over 2 years ago. It was the Mystery Quilt for Lutherlyn's Mystery Quilt Retreat in 2008. I started it that January because I was testing the pattern to make sure everything was correct before we passed it out to all of the participants. It was my first quilt ever so I finished the top and then I didn't know how to do the borders, the backing, or the binding. So, I put it away for a while, worked on other projects, and learned more quilting techniques.

I have been working on it again lately. I promised myself that I would not start another Mystery Quilt (we do this retreat annually) until I finished this one. I finished the backing and binding in January but I didn't feel like it was compete. It is hard to tell from the picture but the dark green fabric has dragonflies on it. So, the last step to completion (and the most time consuming) was hand sewing dragonfly outlines into the big blocks: Honestly, if I knew how long it was going to take I probably would not have done it. But, I am happy with how it turned out so I am glad that I took the time to add the dragonflies.

This past weekend was the 2010 Mystery Quilt Retreat. I started this year's Mystery Quilt after I completed this one. I can't take 2 years for this one, it is going to be a baby/baptism gift for a friend very soon.

Lutherlyn hosts 4 quilting/crafting retreats each year along with a quilt show in October and a Quilt Auction in July. I absolutely LOVE the retreat weekends. The women who come to these retreat weekends are some of the kindest and most fun women I have every spent time with. This past weekend there were 65 women ranging in age from early 20s to early 80s and we all had a wonderful time together! Just another thing that I LOVE about my job and about the ever-growing Lutherlyn family!

2 comments:

  1. I have zero quilting skills...but have been intrigued by them and I'm interested in learning....maybe one of these days I'll have to come to a retreat and get started. Yours looks great! Hope things are going well as you gear up for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. less than early 20's if you count sydney! :)

    your quilt is awesome.

    ReplyDelete